(Juice file photo)
Thursday’s YP essentials
Published on July 4th, 2013 | by Sarah Day Owen
Fourth of July events
- West Des Moines Community Band concert: The West Des Moines Community Band will be holding its concert by the Coneflower Shelters in Raccoon River Park starting at 7 p.m. Bring lawn chairs.
- Urbandale 4th of July Parade: Urbandale’s Fourth of July celebration starts at 10 a.m. and begins at Old City Hall. North on 70th to Aurora, West to 82nd Urbandale, IA 50322. It’s free.
- Altoona Fireworks spectacular begins at 9:45 p.m., weather permitting. Adventureland Park, 305 34th Ave. N.W., Altoona. 266-2121.
- Indianola 7-10:30 p.m. Free games and activities for families . Nite Glow balloons, Salute to Veterans and the national anthem, plus fireworks. National Balloon Classic Launch Field, 15335 Jewell St., Indianola. 961-9420. Free.
- Urbandale Midway and carnival opens at noon. Today includes runs beginning at Walker Johnston Park, a parade at 10 a.m., live music and more, all concluding with fireworks at 10 p.m. uniquelyurbandale.com
- Urbandale (Living History Farms) 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Enjoy an old-fashioned Fourth with a historic Independence Day celebration in the town of Walnut Hill. Living History Farms, 11121 Hickman Road, Urbandale. 278-5286. $13 adults; $12 ages 60+ and military; $7.50 ages 3-12, under 3 and members free.
- Windsor Heights 1 and 5-10:30 p.m. A parade begins at 72nd Street and Hickman Road at 1 p.m. Evening festivities start at 5 p.m. with food and other vendors, live music and more, ending with fireworks at 10 p.m. Colby Park, 6900 School St., Windsor Heights. 645-6821. No admission to attend.
- Vaudeville Mews, 212 Fourth St.: Pre-party with Land of Blood and Sunshine, Christopher the Conquered, Is Home Is and Diamonds for Eyes, 4-9 p.m. at the PBR Bar.
- The 80/35 Music Festival guide. The music festival starts in Western Gateway Park downtown at 5 p.m. Friday.