Burgermeister Justin Berkly pours free beers for event goers after tapping the golden keg outside Hessen Haus. Juice file photo.
Thursday YP essentials
Published on September 26th, 2013 | by Ameena Rasheed
- The Maximum Ames Music Festival takes over pretty much every venue in Ames Thursday through Sunday this week. Headliners include The Zombies, Greg Brown, The Meat Puppets, The Hood Internet and Murder by Death mixing it up with Iowa acts like Lipstick Homicide, Little Ruckus, Obsidian’s Dream and more than 100 other bands. $100 for a full festival pass, or tickets are also available for individual shows. Go to maximumames.com.
- Proust! Celebrate all things Bavarian when Oktoberfest returns starting at 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday on Fourth Street outside Hessen Haus, 101 Fourth St. Events include the bier maiden contest, a stein holding competition and more. $7 in advance, $10 at the door for Friday-Saturday events, $60 for OktoberFeast on Thursday. Go to oktoberfestdsm.com.
- A Q&A with ‘Vodka Samm’ painter, Jeopardy contestant Heidi Atkins McEchron
- Four Des Moines landmarks you’re using the wrong name for
- Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden reopens with free day Saturday