The Angry Sugar Glides team during the Spring Whiff-it Classic whiffle ball tournament. Juice file photo.
Saturday YP essentials
Published on September 7th, 2013 | by Ameena Rasheed
- Wiffle ball players come together to raise money for the Miracle League of Des Moines and the Children’s Cancer Connection while playing a silly sport at the Fall Whiff-It Classic at Campbell Park fields, 12385 Woodlands Parkway, Clive. Activities run from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Registration is closed, but spectators (and the tailgating fun that comes with being a spectator) is free. Go to whiffitdsm.com.
- The annual Latino Heritage Festival is held 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday on the Locust Street and Walnut Street bridges downtown. It features dancers, cultural booths, live music, wrestling, food and more. $5. Go to latinoheritagefestival.org. It runs through Sunday.
- The Kennel Club dog show, featuring tricks, demonstrations and more starts at 8 a.m. in the Varied Industries Building at the Iowa State Fairgrounds, East 30th Street and University Avenue. Free.
- The Salisbury House, 4025 Tonawanda Drive, hosts its annual Gatsby Gala from 6 to 10 p.m. This year’s event celebrates the 1926 novel “Gentlemen Prefer Blondes,” which was later made into a film starring Marilyn Monroe. The evening features music by the Sons of Gladys Kravitz and food and drink by Occasions Made Right, Court Avenue Brewing Company and Creme Cupcake. $100 for ages 35 and younger, $150 for others. Go to salisburyhouse.org.
- 10 steps to talk like a football fan
- VIDEO: Surprise father-daughter wedding dance goes viral
- Try four kinds of barbecue