There's no need to buy ice cream sandwiches like these when you can make your own. Juice file photo.
Learn how to make your own ice cream sandwiches
Published on July 25th, 2013 | by Ameena Rasheed
July is National Ice Cream month and what better way to celebrate than making your own ice cream sandwiches? You can try out the DIY sandwich recipe that’s below to start off. For the filling, you can use ice cream, frozen yogurt, sorbet, sherbet or gelato.
For the “bread” you will need:
• Graham crackers
• Pound cake, sliced and toasted
• Chocolate wafers
• Oatmeal raisin cookies
• Chocolate chip cookies
• Molasses cookies
• Sugar cookies
• Whoopie pies
For the spreads you will need:
• Chocolate fudge sauce
• Caramel sauce
• Butterscotch topping
• Fruit jams, such as raspberry or strawberry
• Marshmallow spread
- Spread 2 pieces of thinly sliced and toasted pound cake with strawberry jam, then fill with vanilla or strawberry ice cream.
- Sandwich raspberry sorbet between chocolate wafer cookies.
- Sandwich orange sherbet between vanilla sugar cookies. Add a smear of chocolate fudge sauce, if desired.
- Spread marshmallow topping on 2 graham crackers, then fill with rocky road or chocolate ice cream.
- Drizzle a touch of butterscotch on a soft molasses cookie, then top with lemon sorbet or sherbet, then a second molasses cookie.
For another recipe or tips to make your own ice cream sandwich visit the Indianapolis Star.